Terms And Acronyms
This is mostly a listing of terms, acronyms, and other things you might run into. This is, of course, chronically incomplete, as new terms and acronyms are always being invented.
- IC - In Character
- OOC - Out Of Character
- LFRP - Looking For RP (Also: LRP)
- TP - Tiny Plot
- App - Application, usually for a TP or character
- FC - Feature Character, a character from a canon source
- OC - Original Character, a character made up by a player entirely
- OFC - Original Feature Character, a highly customized feature character
- Canon - "Source material" external from the MUSH and usually in mass-media, i.e. from a particular TV show or movie.
MUSH and MUD related
- BBS - Bulletin Board System. Also used for old hobbyist telecommunication systems that generally pre-dated widespread Internet usage (although some still exist). In a MUSH context it refers to a message board, usually MUSH-wide.
- Bboard - Synonym for BBS.
- MU* - Any MUD/MUSH/MUCK/MUSE-type program. This includes MOO.
- MUD - Multi-User Dungeon or Multi-User Domain
- MUX - Multi-User eXperience
- MUSH - Multi-User Shared Hallucination
- MUCK - Multi-User Chat Kingdom
- MOO - MUD, Object-Oriented
- Mudnet - An inter-MUSH communications program and network.
- Mudtape - Another inter-MUSH communications program and network, newer than Mudnet.
- MUD/MUSH/MUCK Client - A program used to access a MU*. Almost always telnet-based.
- Telnet - A text-based data exchange format. Traditionally used to control computers remotely from character-based interfaces, usually Unix shell prompts or other Unix programs. Very old and mostly replaced by SSH (which is similar in function, but encrypted), but still used for some applications such as MU*'s.
- MUSHCode - The programming language built into MUSH in which most custom code for a MUSH is written.
- AFK - Away From Keyboard
- AFAIK - As Far As I Know
- IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
- IMO - In My Opinion
- IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
- IMNSHO - In My Not-So-Humble Opinion
- IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer
- LOL - Laugh Out Loud
- YMMV - Your Milage May Vary
- WTF - What/Where the (insert favorite or least favorite F-word here)
- LMAO - Laughing my Arse Off
- RFLOL - Rolling on the Floor Laughing Out Loud
- TL;DR - Too Long, didn't read.
- RTFM - Read The (insert favorite or least favorite F-word here) Manual
- Feddie, Fed - Short for Confederate
page revision: 5, last edited: 26 Dec 2009 09:43