This is the Old Jane Shepard that existed in Mass Effect-1, and as any removal stated nothing about retcons, should not be considered as such.
Full Name: Jane Shepard
Function: Spectre Agent
Series: Mass Effect-1
Species: Human (Enhanced)
"I'm going to do what you brought me back to do. I'll fight and win this war without compromising the soul of our species."
Profile: A human serving in the Systems Alliance at the rank of Lieutenant Commander, Shepard is the first human Spectre to serve the Citadel Council. Born and raised on Mindoir, hers has been a life of almost constant tragedy, between losing her parents when slavers raided the colony and losing her entire unit on her first command when a thresher maw ambushed her team on Akuze. This ability to survive and persevere served her well when Saren, a rogue Spectre, sought to bring about the end of all life in the galaxy in cooperation with Sovereign, which was the vanguard of a race that has destroyed galactic civilization every 50,000 years. In reality, Shepard still pursues this threat, but with her personal involvement in the destruction of Sovereign, she earned the wrath of the Reapers, resulting in her being targeted and killed in an overwhelming attack. After two years, Shepard is alive again, due to Cerberus' expensive Lazarus Project. Miraculously, much of her personality and memories are intact despite what her body went through. Compassionate, but not without a dry sense of humor, Shepard believes in mercy and the sanctity of life, and possesses a strong moral code of doing what's right, even if it goes against what others consider lawful.
Age: 33/35 (Mental Age/Physical Age)
Birthdate: April 11, 2154
Place of Birth: Colony World Mindoir
Weight: 155 lbs.
Eye Color: Slate Blue
Hair Color: Black-Grey
- Death and Revival - At one point during a seemingly routine search and destroy mission for geth holdouts in the wake of the Battle of the Citadel, Commander Shepard's ship, the SSV Normandy was attacked and destroyed. Including Shepard, ten others also perished, the remainder managing to escape through either her efforts or those of her crew. Fortunately and unfortunately, she was not allowed to remain dead. Her body, recovered by Cerberus, was the subject of the Lazarus Project over a two year period separated from the rest of the Multiverse. The exorbitant project took 2 years, and at least 4 billion credits. Undertaken by the Lazarus Cell which was headed by Miranda Lawson and her assistant Wilson, it involved attaching cybernetic implants to reconstruct the Commander's skeleton, reconstruction of the skin, and fluids to restart the blood flow and internal organs.
- Spectre - Shepard is one of a few unique individuals who serves the Council as one of it's Spectres, though this is somewhat strained due to Cerberus' involvement in her return. Spectres are agents entrusted with extraordinary authority by the Citadel Council, including the power of life and death over the inhabitants of the galaxy. They form an elite group selected from a number of different species, and their primary responsibility is to preserve galactic stability by whatever means necessary. Though they are generally considered as being above the law and have complete discretion as to the methods used to accomplish their mission, an individual's status as a Spectre can be revoked by the Council in a case of a gross misconduct. Spectres work either alone or in small groups according to nature of a particular task and to their personal preference. "Spectre" is a syllabic abbreviation of Special Tactics and Reconnaissance.
- Paragon - Shepard has built up a reputation within her own universe and few other places for her ability to handle high tension and risk situations with a sense of compassion that belies no weakness, but commands the respect of others in a variety of ways. She has managed to, several times over, use such skills to avert unnecessary bloodshed, and while she isn't afraid of engaging in it, she is not apathetic or ruthless; quite the opposite, as a matter of fact. One could genuinely consider her something of a field diplomat to all the martial skills she possesses.
- Jeff "Joker" Moreau - “I’m not good. I’m not even great. I’m the best damn helmsman in the Alliance fleet.”
Flight Lieutenant Jeff "Joker" Moreau was the pilot of the SSV Normandy, and after it's destruction, the Normandy SR-2. Joker is an excellent pilot and confident to the point of arrogance, wasting no time in pointing out his prowess to others. He's quick to ensure everyone knows his many accomplishments and commendations were all earned, and not due to charity for his medical problems. Possesses quite the dry wit, and becomes remarkably quiet when a situation has reached a particularly serious level.
- EDI - “I always work at optimal capacity.”
EDI (pronounced 'Eee-Dee' [ˈiː.diː]), which stands for Enhanced Defense Intelligence, is the AI of the Normandy SR-2 and is represented by a holographic floating blue sphere at various terminals throughout the ship where she can provide information about the Normandy and Cerberus. EDI is a Quantum Blue Box type AI that functions as the electronic warfare defense for the Normandy SR-2. Because of the potential danger of a rogue AI, she has been given behavioral blocks and cannot interface with the ship's systems. She also serves as the Illusive Man's eyes and ears on the Normandy, monitoring the many listening devices on board and sending regular reports to him. She is also able to relate data picked up from the Normandy's comprehensive scanning systems for on-site personnel.
- NORMANDY SR-2 - With elaborate secrecy, Cerberus labored for years to build a new, superior Normandy. The ship's many alterations produced a craft nearly double the original size, requiring an even larger Tantalus drive core to compensate. The new Normandy features greater space in living quarters, research laboratory, observation deck, and cargo bay. Its shuttle can make landings the Normandy cannot attempt. Superior communication suites are a part of the new Normandy as well, and contains elaborate orbital resource collection probes and scanning systems. The Enhanced Defense Intelligence A.I. coordinates many of the ship's combat functions, assisting and even supplanting human piloting. Personal upgrades are numerous: the airframe supports additional armor and an axial mass accelerator, the thrusters support recent advances in fuel technology beyond H2/O2 chemical rockets, and the hull can mount double the standard number of kinetic barrier projectors, leaving space for stronger shields, easily sustainable via the new drive core.
- HEAVY PISTOLS - While not as frequently used, Shepard can employ one of three heavy pistols: the M-3 Predator, the M-6 Carnifex Hand Cannon, or the M-5 Phalanx Heavy Pistol. The Predator is a reliably accurate sidearm good versus armor, but less stopping power than the Carnifex, yet more ammo. The Carnifex is much more accurate, higher stopping power, but fires slower and requires more thermal sink exchanges. The Phalanx enjoys a ballistics advantage even over most "hand cannons" and features an integral laser sight which is highly visible even in bright lighting conditions.
- SHOTGUNS - Typically employed at short to medium range, Shepard possesses a number of shotguns such as the M-23 Katana, the M-27 Scimitar Assault Shotgun, and the M-22 Eviscerator. The Katana is capable of slightly greater stopping power at close range, but that's the only advantage it has versus the rapid-firing Scimitar, and the medium-range capacity and overall greater stopping force of the Eviscerator. It's rumored she even possesses a type of Geth Shotgun, which while is a misnomer for how it actually functions, fulfills the role regardless despite how and what it discharges it's ordnance.
- ASSAULT RIFLES - Effective at many ranges and against a wide variety of opponents, encompassing battle rifles and light machine guns and a staple of Shepard's arsenal. Such weapons include the M-8 Avenger, the M-15 Vindicator Battle Rifle, and the Collector Assault Rifle. Each rifle has it's own capabilities: the Avenger has greater recoil, but also greater clip capacity and fires in automatic bursts compared to the Vindicator which has greater stopping power at range due to it's low recoil and five-round burst. The Collector Rifle possesses lower ammo capacity than the Avenger, but equitable power and no loss of accuracy relative to the Avenger.
- SNIPER RIFLES - Powerful, long-ranged weapons with varying ammo capacity and stopping power, and typically not as well-used versus kinetic and energy shields as often. Shepard's arsenal includes the M-92 Mantis, and the M-97 Viper. The Mantis possesses the lowest rate of fire, but has very impressive stopping power, and low ammo capacity, whereas the Viper is designed as an anti-shield and barrier rapid-fire long-range rifle with modest stopping power in comparison: this means 3-5 shots would be needed by the Viper compared to the 1 or 2 of the Mantis.
- HEAVY WEAPONS - Rounding out Shepard's arsenal is a series of heavy weapons of varying functions and more: however, they cannot utilize the same thermal clips she uses for her primary weapons, and require power cells salvaged in the field more often than not. Among these include: the M-100 Grenade Launcher, the ML-77 Missile Launcher, the M-622 Avalanche, the M-920 Cain, the Collector Particle Beam, the M-490 Blackstorm Projector, the M-451 Firestorm, and the Arc Projector. The M-100 is a direct explosive launcher, a no-frills weapon weaker relative to others, but higher ammo capacity. The ML-77 features friend-or-foe tech allowing it to home in on targets, though not necessarily the ones in the crosshairs. The Avalanche is effectively known as the Cryo-Launcher, capable of snap-freezing targets much faster and with more force than regular cryo ammunition. The Collector Particle Beam focuses radiation into a powerful, sustained particle beam that is heavily destructive versus shields and barriers, moreso than armor. The M-920 Cain is effectively a portable 'nuke' launcher, though in reality it is simply a very high force, high explosive weapon that the explosive matrix resembles the typical 'mushroom' cloud effect, and can usually only be fired once, as it requires a massive amount of heavy weapon power cells, making it nearly impractical compared to the other heavy weapons.
- ARMOR - Shepard typically utilizes the N7 armor, with modular pieces manufactured other companies, her armor can be modified with different pieces to increase weapons damage, shield capacity, health, and ammo capacity. Other armor sets include ones that are designed for shock troopers, such as the Cerberus Assault Armor, and other high-performance, if illegal in Citadel space armors, like the Terminus Assault Armor. It's rumored she even has access to a heavily modified Collector-based armor, but she rarely, if ever diverges from her N7 armor, which links in with her cybernetics and other microframe systems to enhance her performance. She even supposedly has a 'gift' armor set from the Edmonton Blood Dragons, and other sets of armor that are quite beneficial, but are unable to 'mix-match'.
Skills and Abilities
SOLDIER: Soldiers are pure combat specialists, and Shepard takes it to the next level. Outfitted with ocular synaptic processors and an exceptionally wide-range of weapons, from pistols, to shotguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles and a variety of heavy weaponry. Her past training and current gives her an extremely wide access to many ammunition types, including concussive rounds for high-impact force, and when her senses are turned on, time can seem to slow down for her to focus on targets with lethal accuracy.
Heightened Adrenaline Rush: Shepard's 'signature' ability, the training she has underwent in additional to her enhancements allows her to slow down time relatively, focusing her senses, reaction time, and speed to the point of localized time dilation. When she activates this, enemies will seem to stand still to her, while she herself will be much faster than even normal speedsters.
Ammunition Mods: Shepard possesses the ability to modify her ammunition on the spot, the effects of which are varied. Incendiary ammunition, able to create long lasting burns and halt regeneration, along with cryogenic ammunition, capable of flash freezing organic and inorganic alike. And lastly, she possesses a specialized type of EM round known as the Disruptor modification, capable of overheating enemy weapons and shutting down synthetics.
CYBERNETICS: Extensive cybernetic and biosynthetic reconstruction necessary to revive Shepard has also granted her a number of additional benefits. Several implants either replaced or reinforced missing and damaged parts of her body, granting her enhanced strength and resilience, as well as stamina, both in and out of her hardsuit. Microfiber weaves in both her skin and skeleton to facilitate the original restoration allows medigel systems to speed recovery processes to a phenomenal level, right down to her skeletal structure from head to toe. This imparts a subtle regenerative capability, but major injuries must be seen to by medical professionals. Her cybernetics even allow her to adapt limited skills from those loyal to her, but at a high cost. (Loyal Crew Members required.)
HACKING - While not the skill of a tech specialist, Shepard's operative training and access to high-end software and hardware allows her the capability to perform cracks and bypasses on systems that she has direct contact to with her omnitool; she cannot remotely hack like others might be able to; this can be used to open doors with electronic locks, or even gain access to systems to drain them of credits or other funds in a limited manner.
Normandy SR-2 Specifications
The Cerberus-built Normandy SR-2 is a starship that serves as the "successor" to the SR-1. The Illusive Man had Cerberus build the SR-2 for the newly revived Commander Shepard's team to aid them in their mission to stop the Collectors' galaxy-wide campaign of human abductions.
The ship is very similar to the Systems Alliance's SSV Normandy SR-1, having been based on the design layout of the original. The Normandy SR-2 has several key differences, the most significant being that it is approximately twice the size of the original. Cerberus also designed the ship with more crew-oriented comforts by including civilian-grade accommodations (like leather chairs and a kitchen). The ship still retains the SSV Normandy SR-1's stealth characteristics. However unlike the SR-1, the SR-2 cannot land on every planet—due to its increased mass—requiring shore parties to use a shuttle to get to a planet's surface.
Javelin Disruptor Torpedoes - The Normandy is armed with two Javelin disruptor torpedo launchers mounted on the joints between its wings and primary hull. The Javelin is an experimental close-assault weapon consisting of paired disruptor torpedo tubes bolted or magnetically "slung" onto the ship's exterior armored hull. The torpedoes are fired on converging trajectories, detonating in a precisely timed sequence that allows the dark energy emitted by their warheads to resonate, magnifying the resulting space-time warp effects and literally shredding the target apart.
Thanix Cannon - The Thanix Magnetic-Hydrodynamic Weapon is a turian-developed, miniaturized version of the weapon used by Sovereign during its attack on the Citadel. Contrary to popular belief, Sovereign's main gun was not a directed energy weapon. Rather, its massive element zero core powered an electromagnetic field suspending a liquid iron-uranium-tungsten alloy that shaped into armor-piercing projectiles when fired. The jet of molten metal, accelerated to a fraction of the speed of light, destroys targets by impact force and irresistible heat.
The weapons fire appears as a bright blue beam, very similar to the deadly red trails seen firing from the tips of Sovereign's 'arms' during the Battle of the Citadel. Only 11 months after the battle, the turians produced the Thanix, their own miniaturized version of Sovereign's gun. The Thanix can fire reliably every five seconds, rivaling a cruiser's firepower but mountable on a fighter or frigate.
Kinetic Barriers - Initially equipped with standard kinetic barriers, the Normandy has upgraded to more complex shielding systems, a multicore system called Cyclonic Barrier Technology (CBT) which attempts to solve the higher-end limitations of traditional kinetic barriers. Traditional barriers cannot block high-level kinetic energy attacks such as disruptor torpedoes because torpedo mass effect fields add mass. The CBT violently slaps aside rather than halting incoming linear force. By rotationally firing their mass effect field projectors, ships create rapidly oscillating kinetic barriers instead of static ones. Shooting through the CBT is like trying to shoot at a target inside a spinning ball.
Significant drawbacks to current CBT configuration prevent its use on anything other than frigates and fighters. Its many high-frequency sensors and emitters require frequent maintenance and replacement. A partially damaged CBT can endanger its operator, who is surrounded by rotating mass effect fields skewing in unpredictable directions. Fortunately, if an emitter is damaged, the CBT corrects to become a traditional shield array, a safety feature that makes it most effective during opening volleys.
Heavy Ship Armor - Originally, the Normandy was fitted with quality, but still standard ablative armor. Recently, it has been refitted with even higher quality heavy armor, the Silaris Armor Technology.
Asari-made Silaris armor can resist even the tremendous heat and kinetic energy of starship weapons. The armor is nearly unsurpassed in strength because its central material, carbon nanotube sheets woven with diamond Chemical Vapor Deposition, are crushed by mass effect fields into super-dense layers able to withstand extreme temperatures. That process also compensates for diamond's brittleness.
Diamond armor itself has two limiting disadvantages. First, while nanotubes and CVD-diamond construction have become cheaper in recent years, it remains prohibitively expensive to coat starships or aircraft larger than fighters in Silaris material. Second, the armor must be attached to the ship's superstructure, so shock waves from massive firepower can still destroy the metals beneath the armor itself. A popular misconception holds that the diamond composition of Silaris armor gives it a sparkle. In fact, atmospheric nitrogen impurities during the super-hot forging process give the armor a metallic gray or yellow sheen.
GARDIAN Lasers - The Normandy is also armed with an array of anti-missile and anti-fighter craft GARDIAN (General ARea Defensive Integration Anti-spacecraft Network) point defense lasers. GARDIAN lasers typically operate in infrared frequencies. Shorter frequencies would offer superior stopping power and range, but degradation of focal arrays and mirrors would make them expensive to maintain. Most prefer mechanical reliability over bleeding-edge performance where lives are concerned, limiting their range but increasing longevity. Due to her unique stealth system that allows her to evade enemy contact, the Normandy has not needed to rely on her GARDIAN too heavily as of yet.
- Propulsion and Power
Antipropton Thrusters - The Normandy's main propulsion is provided by four large antiproton thrusters, with both aft and forward exhausts. Antiprotons are injected into a reaction chamber filled with hydrogen. The resulting matter-antimatter annihilation provides unmatched motive power. The exhaust of antiproton drives is measured in millions of degrees Celsius; any vessel caught behind them will melt like wax in a blowtorch.
Helios Thruster Module - Intended for next-generation fighter craft, the Heed Industries Helios Thruster Module propulsion system far outpaces the typical liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen reactions that power a frigate's maneuvering thrusters. By using metastable metallic hydrogen, the Helios boasts a fuel that burns at far greater efficiency than liquid H2/O2. Navigators can execute the numerous small course corrections inherent to any long-distance travel without fear of exhausting the ship's fuel supplies. This net gain extends to forward impulse as well: a ship powered by antiprotons can coast temporarily using the Helios to reach an inferior but highly sustainable speed. Such efficiency lowers antiproton consumption, a constant concern for any warship.
When a Helios-propelled ship must refuel, however, it typically relies on a large carrier or nearby planetary factory to synthesize the metallic hydrogen. This process uses extremely dense mass effect fields to create the metal under pressures of over a million Earth atmospheres, an activity most safely done while planetside. While that process may seem like a drawback compared to "skimmer ships" that can gather hydrogen and oxygen from anywhere in the universe, the combat superiority of the Helios' maneuvering capabilities is often a worthwhile trade-off. The same efficiency that allows for microburn course correction can power rapid bursts of motion. Once a pilot becomes used to the ship's new energetic responses, she can easily put the ship wherever and at whatever angle she desires.
Fusion Plant - Power for the Normandy's drive core and electrical systems is provided by a nuclear fusion plant. H-fuel cells provide auxiliary power in case the main reactor is shut down.
Tantalus Drive Core - Integral to the Normandy’s stealth systems, the oversized Tantalus Drive Core generates mass concentrations that the Normandy "falls into", allowing it to move without the use of heat-emitting thrusters. It also generates the mass effect field around the ship that enables faster-than-light travel. The design is based on that of the Normandy's, but is slightly different, being vertically oriented relative to the ship instead of horizontally oriented.
- Sensors and Scanning
Sensors - The Normandy SR-2 uses a variety of passive and active scanners, such as visual, thermographic, and radio detectors, radar, and LADAR (LAser Detection and Ranging). LADAR has a narrower field of view than radar, but ladar resolution allows images of detected objects to be assembled.
Argus Planet Scan Technology - Supplementing the Normandy's sensors is the Argus, which provides a qualitative leap in planetary surface imaging. A proprietary technology of the Ayndroid Group, an RRD laboratory reportedly owned by Cerberus, this upgrade for Normandy's sensory array delivers superior long-range topographical scanning resolution and rendering speed.
By deploying an orbital multistatic grid of 100 radar-emitting micro-satellites, the Argus quickly delivers a global Digital Elevation Model (DEM) at 15 meters per pixel (mpp) resolution, vastly outclassing the Normandy's previous scanner peak performance of 27 mpp. Such imaging quality provides superior defense intelligence, and at a speed warranted by the dangers of combat.
At slower scanning and rendering speed, the Argus can resolve down to an astonishing 0.001 - millimeter per pixel - ideal for geological and biological prospecting, archaeological research, and long-term security surveillance. By employing such a massive multistatic grid of nearly-untraceable micro-emitters, the resilient Argus is virtually invulnerable to electronic countermeasures. The spherical geometry of the Argus grid also allows superior cross-sectioning of targets.
Modular Probe Bay - Used in tandem with the planetary scanning, the Normandy utilizes probes to recover valuable resources from planets and investigate anomalies detected on planets. While a limited number of them can be carried, the probes carry both linked sensor packages to relay data back to the Normandy, as well as the ability to launch back up to the Normandy after going to the surface of a planet or area.
- Deployable Craft
UT-47 Kodiak "Drop-Shuttle" - The Systems Alliance UT-47 drop-shuttle landing craft holds 12 soldiers in a cramped, uncomfortable cargo bay and two more in the cockpit. Officially named the Kodiak, the drop-shuttle is better known to Alliance marines as the "combat cockroach" due to its appearance and durability.
The vehicle's robust environmental sealant technology exposes few vulnerable parts to the elements. First tested in the sulfuric acid and extreme temperatures of Venus, the Kodiak can land in hard vacuum, high pressure, and temperatures from near-absolute zero to over 900 degrees Celsius.
A true contragravitic vehicle, the Kodiak's substantial element zero core allows flight by entirely countering the vehicle's mass. Its small thrusters are for directional control only, so if the mass effect field fails, the vehicle becomes a proverbial "three-million-credit coffin". The unarmed shuttle forgoes weaponry-space for active masking, electronic countermeasures, and a robust kinetic barrier system. It is ideal for dropping troops undetected.
M-44 Hammerhead - The M-44 Hammerhead infantry fighting vehicle is a highly maneuverable mass-effect-assisted armored vehicle. The Hammerhead can seat at least three crew members at a time. It incorporates an onboard VI system that monitors the environment for dangers and alerts the crew. An integrated mineral collection system allows the Hammerhead to retrieve any resources it finds during a mission. Like the Mako, it is capable of being air-dropped from a frigate and of propelling itself vertically to scale obstacles by means of hoverjets.
Using three solid-fuel rocket thrusters instead of wheels, the Hammerhead hovers over the battlefield at up to 120 kilometers per hour, allowing it to maintain formation with swift armored units, skim across calm water, and even leap terrain obstacles. Backup microboosters guarantee locomotion, so even destruction of two main thrusters leaves the vehicle capable of full mobility. The Hammerhead retains most features of interplanetary fighting vehicles: an airtight interior, 360-degree kinetic barriers, and a guided missile system ensuring accuracy during even aggressive maneuvering. Its electronic countermeasures extend to laser detection, chaff, active thermal masking, and ground-penetrating weapons-sniffing radar.
The Hammerhead's navigation control emulates that of tanks, so tank drivers can operate Hammerheads without additional training. Factory-issue Hammerheads therefore have no altimeter or similar sensors and are best used at the standard cruising attitude: two meters off the ground.
Note: To be added later! Because it's gorram hueg. And I want to actually compact it a little.